Monday, November 22, 2010

Snow!



Snow has come. ... and it's as if I wasn't aware that winter would be howling down my door! Brrrrr...

I am SHOCKED!! How could this happen, I ask. Because I'm seriously cold.

*ABRUPT SEGUE ALERT *

I've been thinking about how I would fare if things got really, really bad. With all the 'apocalyptic' movies, tv shows and books and games out there right now, it crosses my mind.

Today, sitting in my 3 layers of shirts and slippers (refusing for some strange reason to put socks on) I feel ILL prepared...and this isn't an emergency! Yikes.

I don't mean, that I'm sitting around, biting my nails worrying about who has nuclear bombs or mathematical prophecies; but it does cross my mind when I get tired bringing in the groceries. I'm soft. Getting softer. I have to ask myself is this how I want to live? Then I wonder if I should turn on the heat, or if it would be better to acclimatize myself to the cold. Is acclimatization a real thing? That's just how my silly thoughts transpire...

I also have a son, and I wonder if I'm raising him to be prepared. Prepared for what, I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I'm from the Canada (cushy Vancouver Island, but Canada, none-the-less) that I've thought about personal survival my whole life. Did I know how to build a fire? How to dig clams? What time of year not to fish the river for salmon? I have to say that my Dad was pretty great at having me know these things without freaking me out.

...but I've found that becoming a parent gives me a whole new perspective on my own parent's parenting abilities... as well as a few other things :) That's my rant for today...

Put on the kettle and stay cozy!

No comments: